While it can be very meditative to run outdoors without music, some people really prefer tunes in their ears or use the time to listen to podcasts or audiobooks. So how do you stay safe on open roads even if you’re listening to audio?
That’s what the Aftershokz Trekz line of wireless headphones is meant to address. Instead of plugging your ear canal with the headphone and just allowing outside sound to leak in, Aftershokz uses an innovative open-ear design and bone conduction technology to pipe sound vibrations directly into your inner ear. This bypasses the eardrums and allows you to hear external sounds while still listening to audio.
It’s been a little under two weeks since I got my Aftershokz Trekz Titanium headphones at the launch event held in R.O.X. at Bonifacio High Street, so I decided to shoot my vlog review about it and capture my thoughts and reactions. Watch it below, or on my Youtube channel.
Here’s some info from the press release:
AfterShokz headphones use bone conduction technology to transmit audio waves to the inner ears through the skull, bypassing the eardrums completely. Place them on your cheekbones, just in front of your ears. This leaves your ear canals open, allowing you to remain alert and aware of ambient sounds while you enjoy your music. Bluetooth® connectivity gives you the ability to be free of wires and make and receive phone calls.
There are two versions of Aftershokz Trekz. The Aftershokz Trekz Titanium (P5,690) was the first model released to retail and has won the CES Innovations Award and Red Dot Award for its outstanding design and engineering. The Aftershokz Trekz Air (P8,590) is the newer model and is 20% lighter than the Titanium. Both are available in standard and mini sizes; the mini has a band one inch shorter than the standard size, which provides a more comfortable fit for teens and adults with smaller frames.
Both headphones feature:
- OpenFit – Promising uncompromised situational awareness and extended comfort in a revolutionary open ear design. That means you can tune in to your music or a call without tuning out the world around you.
- PremiumPitch+ Sound – Bone conduction audio has earned its bad reputation due to a blend of natural sound leakage and weak bass. PremiumPitch+ technology optimizes the sound and includes additional features like LeakSlayer technology, which ensures music is directed exactly where it should be.
- Titanium Frame – The backbone of the industrial design is a premium titanium frame, an element chosen not only for its strength and durability, but also for its infinite flexibility, which will deliver maximum comfort, portability, and the very best sound. Its full titanium wraparound design provides a secure fit, and the ultimate level of comfort that can withstand the most rigorous of activities.
- Sweat Resistant – IP55-rated to repel sweat, moisture and dust.
- Six Hours of Music and Calls – You can charge fully in 1.5 hours, but a quick 15-minute charge provides enough boost to get you through a long workout or marathon call.
- Noise Canceling Mics – Precisely placed dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech.
- Voice Prompts – Audrey Says seamlessly guide you through power, pair, play and talk, and everything in between.
The Aftershokz Trekz Titanium wireless headphones are great for listening to audio in environments where you still need to be aware of your surroundings. If you want a more immersive audio experience, I would still recommend the old-fashioned “cans”. But if you want to listen to something while you’re running, cycling, or driving (hello, Anti-Distracted Driving Law!), these headphones are perfect and will help you keep safe.
Aftershokz is available at Astroplus, Beyond the Box, Digital Walker, E-Central Cebu, Glorious Ride Bikeshop, iCenrer Cebu, iLiberty Tech Gadgets and Accessories, JMB Albay Gadgets, Mobile 1, R.OX., Lazada and Shopee. For more information about the product, visit Digital Walker on Facebook or Beyond the Box on Facebook.