Not many people know this, but I am an avid bookworm. I learned to love books as a little girl and was never in want of them. Before I started my growing collection of running attire and shoes, I spent all my spare cash on books and also read most of the books in my grade school library.
But 40 percent of the Philippine population has little to no access to books; the statistics say the country only has about 688 public libraries, less than 40% of the required minimum 1,851 libraries to serve 220 congressional districts, 136 cities and 1,495 municipalities.
So when I was invited to Run to Read, a fun run to raise funds for school libraries, I jumped at the chance to get involved in a cause close to my heart.
Run to Read 500m/3K/5K/10K/15K
Run to Read happens on August 15 at the Bonifacio Global City and will have several distance categories: 3K, 5K, 10K, and 15K, as well as a 500-meter dash for parent-child teams.
Registration is now open at the following venues:
- Secondwind Store QC: 88 Maginhawa St. Teachers Village, Diliman Quezon City
- Secondwind Store Ortigas: Ortigas Home Depot, 1 Dona Julia Vargas Ave, Ortigas
- All Terra Cyclery: Club 650 Libis, Quezon City
- BrandWorX Inc Head Office: Penthouse Eurovilla 2 Bldg., V.A. Rufino St. Makati City
- RUNNR: B3 Bonifacio High Street, Taguig City, Philippines
- Reebok: Festival Supermall, SM Megamall and TriNoma
- Royal Sporting House: AliMall, Glorietta 4 and Robinsons Place Ermita
- Online Registration at Runner’s Runner.com
The 500-meter parent-child dash is priced at P500, 3K at P300, 5K at P350, 10K at P400, and 15K at P450. Early bird registrants from July 1- 15 get P50 off the registration fee.
The unique feature about this run is the choice of singlets. Depending on your preference, you can pick up a yellow, red, blue, purple, or orange singlet beginning July 28 at the registration venues. I’ve decided on purple, since I have no singlet of that color yet. 🙂
Run to Read singlet choices
The route maps are still being finalized, but I do think this will be a great, sulit run since the reg fees are less than 500 pesos, hydration will be provided by Pocari Sweat, and it supports a good cause.
For more information about this race and the beneficiary, the National Book Store Foundation’s Buklat Aklat program, check out the Run to Read Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.