This is a new section on my blog where I answer questions people ask me. If you have any questions for future Ask Kikay Runner entries, contact me!
I just read your review of yurbuds and you mentioned something about filling an mp3 player with your favorite running songs, so I would just like to ask what songs would you say is a must have in any running playlist? I’m looking to expand my playlist since it’s only good for 10k runs and that’s already with some songs repeated. Thanks!
Music tastes can differ with every runner. If you were able to catch Chris and Chloe’s radio show on Mellow 94.7 last February 3, 2012, they featured the favorite running songs of some runners, including myself. (Listen here for what song I picked.) Some picked pop, some picked rock, some picked techno. Part of choosing a running playlist is finding songs that help you get in your preferred state of mind for running, and songs that keep you motivated.
Part of the training I got from The Next Step Tri Camp I attended was an emphasis on increasing stride turnover rate (the number of steps you take per minute). Ideally people should be able to maintain at least 180 steps per minute to avoid overstriding and ensure good form and less fatigue. Some people actually train and race with metronomes to achieve this, but you can get a similar effect with the beat of the music you pick for your running playlist. Some websites like Running Playlist and Running Music Mix provide lists of songs suited to running.
So there isn’t really one must-have song on any running playlist. It’s really about what kind of soundtrack you’d like to have playing as you run.
My updated playlist for 10K looks like this:
- Save the World (Zedd Remix) – Swedish House Mafia
- Ready Steady Go – Paul Oakenfold
- Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Alive 2007 Mix) – Daft Punk
- Boom Boom Pow (David Guetta Electro Pop Mix) – Black Eyed Peas
- Everybody Everybody (Benny Benassi 2007 Remix) – Black Box
- Let It Rock (ft. Lil Wayne) – Kevin Rudolf
- One (Congorock Remix) – Swedish House Mafia
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- Rain Down Love (Phunk Mobb Remix ft. Siedah Garrett) – Freemasons
- Incredible (Denis the Menace & Jerry Roperos Full Vocal Mix) – Shapeshifters
- Toca’s Miracle (Vandalism Remix) – Fragma
- Run the World (Kaskade Club Remix) – Beyonce
- Beautiful People (ft. Benny Benassi) – Chris Brown
This playlist is longer than the amount of time I usually take to run a 10K because I like to have flexibility to skip songs when I don’t feel like listening to them. I don’t like repeating songs unless it’s a power song (the song that always gets you revved up).
You’ll notice a lot of house music on my playlist because that’s the kind of music I listen to, especially for teaching BodyJam. Your playlist might look a little or a lot different. In the end it’s really up to your taste, and seeing how different songs affect your running.